Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Binkies, Potty Training and everything else

I have discovered something in the last few weeks that I think everyone should know. Life doesn't go as planned. In fact, take your plan think of it's opposite, and that's usually what actually happens. I determined after my stepson left (on August 15) that I was going to start potty training Brynn, take her off the pacifier except for naps, and teach her all of her shapes, her body parts and a few other things that I had in mind. It started out well. Very well intentioned anyway. The binky was going well. She really didn't mind not having it, except in the car where I simply suffered through her screaming thinking that eventually she would get the idea. Potty training was more of a challenge, not only does she not want to sit on the potty, but she thinks that it's a great idea to play with anything and everything around the toilet. But she never wants to actually go to the bathroom. Everything else was well intentioned, but still has yet to even be spoken of to Brynn. :)

Through circumstances, somehow everything fell apart. :) First, we had to go truck shopping to get my husband a truck after his accident. The insurance company took forever to total our last truck, so we were wandering around car lots for almost a month. We finally found our truck at the beginning of September, so that was over. Then two weeks later I volunteered to babysit my two cute neices while my brother and sister-in-law went on a sort of second honeymoon/family vacation with her family. All went well, I'm happy to report that only one of them ingested more than one piece of dog food. LOL. But obviously during this time of three children under the age of two, I gave Brynn her bink whenever she wanted it, I didn't take her to the potty, and simply keeping all three of them in the same room was enough of a challenge that I never did start trying to teach anything. I simply tried to make sure all were alive, well, fed, changed, and got down for their naps. Oh, and that I found time for at least enough food to make sure that I didn't die during that time.

So here we are at the end of that adventure....well, it's been over a week since I came home, and Brynn is still getting the binky whenever she asks for it, has only been put on the potty twice in a week, and again with not even mentioning the other learning activities I had planned. So back into the fray I go. Today will be the day that we're done with the binky (except at naptime cause I'm too chicken to just take it away completely today), I will put her on the potty at least twice, and I swear that I will mention to her that there are different shapes in the world, even if we don't get around to actually learning what they are and what they're called!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ha! I'm impressed you're starting so early. James still isn't quite potty-trained and he still begs for his binky (even though we through it away a couple of weeks ago). Oh well, they have to get it eventually, right?

Josh & Stacey said...

Yeah, there was a little girl in our last ward who was like three or even older and still had a binky in her mouth and I vowed right then and there I wouldn't let Brynn be that little girl. It's hard though because it's so much easier to just let her have it.